Tuesday, June 2, 2015


June 1, 2015

Respect and Empathy

I have learned so much about my family. They are people just like you and me. We are more similar then different. The teenagers like to watch movies and hangout with their friends. The babies like to wonder around and drive their mother’s crazy. I have observed how loving they are to one another. They all live in a small house together and take care of each other. It is wonderful to observe the bonds they have with each other. Tonight there was a big spider on my wall. I hate spiders more than anything. I asked my Mama tica to help me get it out. The whole family ran in to look. My Mama tica scooped the spider up with her bare hands and placed it outside. I was shocked. The whole family was laughing at my reaction. Then my Mama tica checked my entire room for more bugs. It meant a lot to me that she cared. To her a spider is nothing but she respected the fact that I was scared of them and made sure I was comfortable. I think as a teacher it will be very important for me to respect my student’s emotions. Simply showing them that I care can go a long way. In our class today we reflected on showing empathy for our children’s families. Going to their home or giving them a call at home really show the parents that you care about what they are going through. This can make all the difference in my classroom.

My Family
(My Mama tica is in the blue shirt at the end)

No comments:

Post a Comment