Friday, May 29, 2015


May 26, 2015

Expect the Unexpected

We got to go to an elementary school in Monte Verde today. We did not know we were going until yesterday afternoon. We were told that the students did not know any English. We were not as prepared to teach these children as we were the last group. I was a little nervous going in but I knew this would be a good experience for me. I will have to interpret what is best for my students as I go. Sometimes in school things do not go as planned and I will not be able to prepare beforehand. I must be quick to think of something for my students to do. Teaching today actually went better than I expected. I worked with three students in a small group. The students actually knew some words in English. We taught the students colors, body parts, and emotions. We used many teaching strategies that we thought were best for our students at the time. I had to demonstrate a lot. I had to stop myself from translating words for them in Spanish. The students know more than I think they do. We did many activities to help the students learn. We used visuals, movements, music, and hands-on activities. The students responded well. I had to keep trying different strategies to find out how my students learn best. Today was very successful. I am proud of what we did at the school. One of my professors at UNCW used to always tell me, “expect the unexpected.” A teacher must always be prepared to modify the lesson. What we did today was probably one the best experiences I could have had to practice this skill.

Yesterday’s Spanish class was hard. Enough though I know I need to work on my Spanish skills, I dreaded going. I can related to my students in this way. Learning a new language or concept it not always easy. One has to have motivated and practice to get better. I will have to help my students find intrinsic motivation. I know I will not always be able to make learning super fun. However, I can encourage my students and build their confidence to help them push through the hard stuff.

Aren't they so cute!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment