Tuesday, May 26, 2015


May 18, 2015

English Curriculum & The Great Challenge

We had an orientation of the English curriculum in Costa Rica. Students learn English in pre-k to high school which I was very impressed with. I know students learn language better at an early age. Dina explained that there were three cycles of the English curriculum. The first cycle puts emphasis on listening and speaking. Then the curriculum moves into reading and writing English. The students are tested in English on a reading comprehension test. The whole English curriculum focuses on teaching language in context. I think this is wonderful. Teaching in context allows students to find meaning of English words/phrases. I asked my tico brothers about English in their school and they said they did not have English classes until high school. I assume the English curriculum policy is fairly new.

I have a hard time communicating with my family tonight. I find myself being very quiet because I don’t know how to say a lot of things. I get very nervous when they talk to me because I don’t know what they are saying. My body gets sweaty and my face is hot. My tico papa and brother helped me with my Spanish homework. I did not need much help but I thought it would be a good way to interact with my family. They were very helpful. I knew they were getting a little frustrated with me but I fought through it even though I had the desire to quite. I met the older son and he knew very little English but not much. I felt a relief when I was near him. I think my tico family would be considered middle classed in Costa Rico but if this same house was in America they would be considered pretty poor. Tonight I found little bugs in my bed and I don’t know what to do. Ticans don’t kill bugs. They are one with nature. I want to respect their culture but I also am terrified of the fact that there are lots of bugs. I am not fond of any bug especially ones in my bed. I have to bit my tongue and get over it this week which is going to be very difficult for me. Taking a shower was a different experience as well. There hot water is not the same as ours. I have never realized how lucky I am to have hot water and no bugs at my house at home.

 

My Tyco Brother

Calle Hernández Primary School

No comments:

Post a Comment