Thursday, May 28, 2015


May 22, 2015

La Carprio

We went to La Carpio, one of the poorest areas in Costa Rica. We were able to hear a story of a young boy who had come in just the night before asking for food. He did not speak any English so Gale translated for us. He said he is from Nicaragua like many people in this area. He father, him, and younger siblings came to Costa Rica a number of years ago. He said his mother was not in the picture. Since he is the oldest child, he takes care of his siblings. His dad works in construction, which is where most Nicaraguans find jobs because no one else wants them. The boy works for a trash company. He dives in the dumpsters to take out any materials that have value. He gets paid very very little. If he doesn’t go to work, his family may not be able to eat. He doesn’t go to school because he has to make money for his family. His skin was dirty and the sadness in his eyes made me feel so incredibly sad. His story is like so many others in La Cardio. It was such a touching experience and make me think a lot about myself. What can I do to help these people? I know there is also poverty in the states and I will probably have a student that comes to school with no food or clean clothes. I have studied the effects of poverty on a child’s education. The facts are devastating and the cycle of poverty continues. Showing my student empathy without lowering my expectations is necessary. I can make a difference by empowering these students to never give up and reach for the stars because anything is possible. I know any little thing I can do can help. I would like to devote more time doing service projects and giving up my time for them. As a teacher it is necessary to know how to teach the child to survive in a world that is sometimes unfair.
It was bittersweet to leave my host family today. The have been so kind and patient with me. I am glad that I was able to get to know them and see what life would be like if I were to grew up in Costa Rica. I am off to new adventures and a new host family in Monte Verde.
 
 
 

                                                                       La Carpio

No comments:

Post a Comment